If you are on active duty today - serving honorably anywhere in the world -
or have served honorably during any eligible war eras (see dates below), become a member of The
We're veterans just like you, nearly 3 million strong, who care about America, veterans and
their families and our nation's youth. The Legion is a powerful voice in Washington dedicated
to preserving the rights we've all earned - and were promised - by service to our nation in
We invite you to join us now. Membership brings an impressive array of benefits. The
American Legion is always there for you and your family - in Washington and nearly
15,000 local posts throughout America and abroad. Just like you,
we're "Still Serving America!"
You must have served between the following dates:
- April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)
- December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II)
- June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955 (Korean War)
- February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
- August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)
- December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Operation Just Cause - Panama)
- August 2, 1990 to today (Operation Desert Shield/Storm / War on Terror)*
The American Legion is the nation’s most influential, effective and dependable advocate of veteran
affairs. Your membership in the Legion will strengthen our fight for better active-duty pay, improved
housing for active-duty families, and help insure that the VA’s medical system can properly care
for the sick and wounded returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.
* Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join
The American Legion at this time until the date of the end of hostilities are determined by the
Government of the United States of America.
- service between dates above
- a copy of your DD214
- a completed application
- your membership dues
Stop by the Post to take care of it. We look forward to seeing you!